Rip off! Beware!

Guest's review of Avis Car Hire

“Rip off! Beware!”

Written on: 03/07/2013

I recently hired a car from Avis's Glasgow Airport branch. They charged my card around £100.

The first rip off was fuel. They told me it had a full tank and if I didn't return it full I would be charged exorbitant fuel costs. On the way out, I checked the fuel at an airport petrol station, and it was 3 litres of fuel short - not much, but if I had delivered it back 3 litres short I would have been charged around £10.

I drove the car for three days and delivered it back in the same condition that I hired it (with the usual light dirt from my shoes on the floor) with a full tank.

A week later, I saw that I was charged £300 rental which included £200 valet bill. I was told that the car was dirty and smelled of smoke (I am a non smoker). Any protesting has fallen on deaf ears so I am now pursuing a legal claim.

By contrast, I have used Hertz and had faultless service.

• 06/13

Date of hire (month/year)

• Glasgow Airport

Country & City of hire

• Good

Condition of vehicle

• Average

Choice of vehicles

Nevercomplainedbefore's Comment

Written on: 03/07/2013

That's terrible, similar thing happened to me - after 3 premium rate phone calls with Avis customer service - that's their people who frankly weren't interested, I can only come to the conclusion that Avis have now decided they can make more money out of premium rate phone calls for complaints, than car hire. So they are overcharging everyone regardless.