Charged more than twice as advertised by Avis!

Guest's review of Avis Car Hire

“Charged more than twice as advertised by Avis!”

Written on: 17/05/2013

AVIs hire cars in Malta. When we booked our weeks hire car online the price was £68.72 for a week. We ended up paying £158.95!! We arrived to be told there was a late fee of £15 as we were picking up the car after 8pm, although we had had to enter our arrival time when booking online and nowhere did it flag this up (and our plane had not been delayed) even though there were other folk picking up cars at this time also. Then we were charged £48 as there was some petrol in the car, unlike other companies where you pick up with full tank and drop off with same. There was again nothing we could do about this and as the price of petrol was so low there and there was little fuel in tank, we should have been charged around £10. I have received an extra charge of £34.93 for insurance on my credit card statement received in the post today bringing the total to £158.95. I need to investigate this latest charge as I have no idea why I have been charged this additional fee as insurance was included and we elected not to take out the extra full insurance offered on arrival. Talk about misrepresentation and total rip off! And to top it all the staff were incredibly rude on drop off.

• April 2013

Date of hire (month/year)

• Malta