AVIS - They TRY HARDER to rip you off

Guest's review of Avis Car Hire

“AVIS - They TRY HARDER to rip you off”

Written on: 12/03/2013

I don’t mind good aggressive selling. But when you are being sold ‘products’ hoping you will not notice or hiding stuff from you – is not on.

I booked a car on the British Airways AVIS website. I only needed a car for a day so not worried about the size. When I made the booking – selected a Group B.
Upon pickup I was told it was going to be a Fiat 500. Clearly Fiat 500 is a Group A. Asked why that was happening – also being a BA Silver customer – I was entitled to an upgrade (so a Group C).

Got a pretty pathetic and in genuine “Sir it’s based subject to availability”.

In the same breath she says – I can give you a nice Diesel Peugeot for 27 quid extra. So my choice – get a Fiat 500 or pay 27 quid extra and get a much bigger car. So I went for paying the 27 quid extra.
Hate AVIS for many other reasons – mainly around how they are trying to ‘sell’ you stuff – higher insurance, GPS, whatever to increase the rental. Upselling like crazy.

What irritated me even more – when I was returning the car I was running very very late --- thought I would miss my flight. So didn’t fill up with diesel as I always do. Guess what --- they charged me 45 pounds for driving the car for 70 miles and not filling up!
Anyway I am done with AVIS – NEVER NEVER AGAIN.

• Average