Avoid argus/car trawler/greenmotion at all costs!

Maldarby's review of Argus Car Hire - www.arguscarhire.com

“Avoid argus/car trawler/greenmotion at all costs!”

Written on: 11/07/2013 by Maldarby (1 review written)

I booked with Argus who booked me a car through Greenmotion in Italy with a Pisa Airport pick up and drop off. We arrived at Pisa to discover that Greenmotion is not based at Pisa Airport but in a little village at least 10kms away. No-one was at the airport to meet us; I had to ring a number to be told that they would arrive in twenty minutes. They took us into the middle of an industrial estate where their offices were based and we proceeded with the booking out. At the end this procedure the girl asked me about CDW insurance. I had taken out full extra insurance prior to travel so she said they would have to block 1,500 euros off my card. We were in the middle of nowhere with no ability to get back to Pisa Airport, so we had to agree although we argued as best we could.

I had asked for a volkswagon golf but we were given a Fiat Punto. The car mis-fired for the whole journey and occasionally the engine management light would come on. It absolutely drank petrol - it used half a tank of petrol on a two hour journey and we had no faith in it. It was all very disconcerting and unpleasant to be tooted at by a huge lorry on a motorway because we couldn't go any quicker!

However, the worst was still to come! No-one was at the desk when we arrived to drop our car off and be driven back to the airport. Everything was locked up and again I had to ring someone to find out where they were. Apparently they were still having lunch in a restaurant. The employee spoke no English at all but knew he had to cancel the blocking of the 1,500 euros. He patently didn't know how to do the transaction and, after trying twice and failing, he rang someone for advice. It transpired that he had actually taken the money off my card and they couldn't reverse it. I would have to wait for five to ten days for them to do it directly through their bank. We were totally incensed and it spoilt the holiday. Eventually we got the money back but at the exchange rate applicable on their day and it was £45.00 short.

• June/July 2013

Date of hire (month/year)

• Pisa, Italy