1.7diesel Leisuredrive T25

Guest's review of VW T25 Campervan

“1.7diesel Leisuredrive T25”

Written on: 15/10/2012

I bought this vehicle as a 2 year old van with 28000 miles on it in 1987. I had it converted in Salford by Leisuredrive to a high-top but with 4 windows and no wardrobe, I also had a glass sunroof fitted instead of a mushroom vent. Both have proved wise decisions.
The 1.6 Diesel 5 speed was fine in town, but patience was required on long journeys especially in Europe. The vehicle was used both as a car and holidays, no fridge or toilet, but Eberspacher D1LC Heater has been very reliable and has enabled all year round use. Gearbox died at 475000 miles and 1.6 engine at 650000miles. As at this time VW were 'disposing' of 1.7 full engines for £300-00 + VAT I made the obvious choice. The extra 12 BHP and torque made a fantastic difference and very few hills require a down-shift from 5th. Reliability has been fantastic, at 833000 miles I am into a body fettle as parts of the edges were becoming rat-eaten, however the floor and chassis are perfect, probably due to specialist wax injection prior to conversion in 1987.

I am also replacing all suspension bushes, steering rack,and most important rear wishbones, only found how corroded they were when removed a spring!!I change the oil every 6000 miles or 6 months, and gearbox oil Carlube (GLI4)+ SLICK50 every 2 years. I buy a 205 litre drum of Quantum 10/40 from VW, known quality and even now is less than £1-20 litre.
Probably the best vehicle I have owned and at 38 mpg affordable to use.