Customer Service made me ill

• Quality of service

• Layout of shop

davidje's review of Maplin

“Customer Service made me ill”

Written on: 29/12/2011 by davidje (1 review written)

I bought a scanner for Christmas. When I tried it, the image was cropped and the provided slide film holders did not fit the scanner. I took it back to be told that I could not have a refund as the 30 day period had expired and would need to be sent to Head Office for repair or replacement. I showed the assistant the receipt where it clear stated that because of Christmas, returns could be made up to the 16th of January. He read and re-read the receipt several times and disappeared into the back. He came back to say that they still have the discretion to send it back to check if it is faulty. I challenged him to place the film holder into the scanner. He couldn't do it. He read and re-read the receipt and the instruction manual. He disappeared again. He came back with the film holder jammed in the scanner. The line manager came in to the conversation to state that as there were no proper facilities for testing if the film holder fitted, it would have to go to head office. I asked if I could have a word with the manager but was told that she was too busy to talk to customers. I was by now so upset, having said I was not leaving the store without a refund and quoting the Sale of Goods act etc just to watch the assistant re-read the receipt several times and visiting the back office where I presume the manager was hiding. I felt sorry for the assistant. he appeared to be untrained and had no authority even though he was manning the customer service desk. I wish I had the courage to be dishonest and had returned the scanner as an unwanted gift. I am not a young man and am totally unsuited to dealing with such apalling service. In the end, I had to leave the shop as I was feeling unwell. I will never shop at Maplin's again.

• Crewe