very poor quality photo book purchased from Boots Photo

• Quality of service

• Layout of shop

Guest's review of Boots Photos

“very poor quality photo book purchased from Boots Photo ”

Written on: 10/02/2014

I wanted to make a 12" x 12" signature photo book of my husband's life with his nearest family. It seemed a very good idea to use Boots, as an established and well-known company. I did not check any reviews, because I believed in its general reputation as a good old company. It took me a long time to select photos and add a great deal of text. The very old black and white photos came out OK in the book, the copies of the old coloured photographs were of mixed, but generally poor quality because they were darker than their originals, with a few exceptions where the quality was the same as the original. However, the worst were the copies of the excellent photos from our new Nicon 9000 camera. All the originals are excellent and show what can be achieved with a quality camera. However, at least three quarters of these were too dark and unclear in the photo book.
I spent over £100 on this book, a large number of hours and felt I had created something really lovely. But with such a large proportion of poor photos, the impression of the book was not what I had expected.
I contacted the company and after a number of e-mails they sent me another copy which was just the same as the first one! They clearly do not have sufficiently advanced equipment and/or qualified manpower to produce the quality of product required for the price they charge. The price is not really the issue but the lack of quality in the product. Also, I had to be very firm about their lack of quality. They use a foreign call centre where the staff have difficulty in expressing themselves in English, both when talking to them and in writing. I have now returned the two photo books as instructed by them and I am waiting for my refund. Not that this will compensate for my own, personal effort and smashed expectations!!

• not applicable, Internet purchase