No membership renewal notices....

Guest's review of Confederation of Business and Traders

“No membership renewal notices....”

Written on: 28/10/2011

I'm sure there are plenty of businesses out there that find this service very useful but here are my own personal views on this company, in particular the cancellation process.
I fell foul of an email asking to take advantage of a free listing and missed the small print regarding automatic renewal of membership and that they would actually be charging me (so not free at all). My mistake. The moment I found out I was going to be charged I wrote to them explaining the error and could they please cancel it - they wouldn't and so I had to pay for a years membership for something I didn't really want. Anyway, a year passes and I expected a renewal email (like with every other company I have ever dealt wiht, but no, I got a bill instead for another years membership which again they refused to cancel because the only time you can cancel is within a months period before your renewal is due and they don't send out reminders!
They're not interested in acting in good grace or good will and basically just keep sending reminders until you've paid.
So, unless you're happy to continue with membership, then great - go for it. Unless you're very, very well organised and dont cancel within their alloted time period, expect to pay!
I have fallen foul of another year, now have the date span for cancellation next year and fully expect the cancellation process to be quite long winded and difficult although I hope to be proved wrong!

Taghipour's Comment

Written on: 02/09/2012

Thank you.
We have very similar unpleasant experience with confederation of businesses and trades. We have a free btwebclicks.com and then free BT Tradespace.com accounts for several years and when we received an email from admin@confedbt.com we thought it was from our free BT Tradespace team who contact us but on 25th April 2012 when we received an invoice for 220.80 pounds from confederation of businesses and trades I personally contacted confederation of businesses and trades on 0845 388 3968 and spoke to a lady and told her about most probably our mistake with the BT account and asked her to cancel the account she requested an email and I emailed to cancel our account and the invoice but (name removed) from account department of confederation of businesses and trades wrote back "Cancellation are subject to section 8 and 9 of the terms and membership to which you are bound and cannot be cancelled....." then in another email (name removed) (accounts) on 24th July 2012 she states that: " ... if the court proceedings follow we will then claim an additional 225.00 as consequential losses and administrative costs ...."
We have now received a claim at the Northampton County Court (dated 22nd August 2012) filed by the Confederation of Businesses and Traders against us to recover total of 525.43 Pounds from us.
At The Confederation of Businesses and Traders website on top of Home Page seen on 2nd September 2012 at 13.04 hours the company stats that: "The Confederation of Businesses and Traders is all about providing free continuous business support, advertising, web services and recognition for associated members” however on the same page among support and solutions the Confederation of Businesses and Traders also offer it is also "debt collection procedures". Our records also reveals that within a few hours during afternoon on 12 April 2012we have received 3 emails from confederation of businesses and trades. The first "Free Directory Listing" and that followed with two other but there is no mention of charges and payment. However, most probably the charges has been mentioned in small printed attachment under "terms and conditions" which was sent with one of these emails (not the first email".
We feel that we have been knowingly and senselessly trapped in an agreement by Confederation of Businesses and Traders and such companies could be a problem for more vulnerable people in our society and hope to bring it to the attention of others and may be the judge understand our genuine mistake and take into account our basic consumer's right to defend this case.
Dr Taghipour

Confedbt's Comment

Written on: 13/02/2013

The claim made by the Confederation of Businesses and Traders (CBT) against Doctors Makeover Limited, was heard on the 12th December 2012 at Basildon County Court. After hearing the case the Judge upheld the CBT’s position and ordered that Doctors Makeover Limited should pay the claim in full plus interest and costs. Doctors Makeover Limited subsequently complied with the order and settled the debt.

Using the Courts is regrettable, however when legitimate debts are unpaid the CBT will continue to do so.

Yourrights's Comment

Written on: 13/05/2014

Please contact bbc watchdog with a short complaint, we have done the same and people need to know how bad these people are. Thank you.

I.d.s.'s Comment

Written on: 04/10/2012

I am a member of the CBT and yes they do make a yearly charge for membership but I can see that they also help non-members by allowing free entry to the business directory with no charge. They don’t send renewal notices but if a member wants to cancel they can simply phone or email as stated in the terms.

I give the CBT the thumbs up and invite you to read my full review of the Confederation of Businesses and Traders.