AVOID AVOID AVOID.....at ALL costs!

SimonGrey's review of Momentum Transport (Momentum Coach Hire) UK

“AVOID AVOID AVOID.....at ALL costs!”

Written on: 17/09/2013 by SimonGrey (1 review written)

I booked an "Executive" coach from this mob to collect an important group of visitors from their hotel in Edinburgh and bring to our premises near Stirling. I made sure they knew exactly which hotel it was and also gave some fairly specific instructions as to where I wanted them dropping (right in front of our office) and also the route to take as there is a difficult access for a coach from one route.

I should have realised things were not going to be plain sailing, for several days beforehand I asked to speak to the local depot so I could go over the specific local directions with the driver in case he was not familiar with our location. Momentum were unable to give me any contact details until the night before, at this point I realised they do not operate any of their own transport but merely subcontract...presumably leaving it late to get the best discount for themselves. I phoned the contact and got no reply.

On the day of the booking I got a call from my guests at the hotel in Edinburgh saying there was no sign of the coach, I called the number I was given again and this time it was answered. I asked if the driver left on schedule and if he could be contacted to see where he was, the guy on the end of the line said he had no idea as he was a "planner" for Momentum and did not work for the actual coach company! Eventually he called back with the mobile number for the driver, when I called him I was told the traffic was terrible but he was not far away.....fair enough, he was only a little late and the traffic can be bad in the city centre.

I was later told that he had been parked outside the wrong hotel, it was a sister hotel with similar name further up the street....one of my guests had to go looking for him.

Anyway, he arrived here eventually late but not massively behind schedule, again I found out later from a guest that he had in fact taken the route I had specifically told them not to use. Rather than dropping the guests right at our front door with its lovely facade ( it is a listed building) to create the first impression I wanted...as requested...he dropped them on a side road near a car park leaving them to walk across a gravel road down the length of the complex, some of the female guests were wearing heels so not ideal.

The final and worst insult was the "coach" itself - rather than the Executive Coach I had ordered (based on the photographs used on their website) the vehicle supplied was what could only be described as a public transport bus that was obviously normally used for school runs, it's only good point was that the seats had been recently re-covered. So rather than being able to relax in a comfy executive seat for the 2.5hrs that the two legs would take, my guests and potential customers were in fact sat on hard uncomfortable seats in a rattling old bus.

And so to my complaint. It took them six weeks to reply, when they finally did reply they said they were pleased to be able to offer me a £50 DISCOUNT VOUCHER which would be valid for 12 months......"in full and final settlement"......and that they were greatly looking forward to being able to provide me with their service again in the future! When I responded that this was not acceptable, when I pointed out that the discount was barely compensation for the failure to follow instructions and when I made the point that the supply of a cheaper vehicle than I had paid for should in fact surely entitle me to some sort of refund......well, I was told that if I had read their terms and conditions I would have seen that it is their policy to only provide discount vouchers as compensation! They also said they could do nothing else to help with my complaint

You have to follow several links before you finally arrive at their small print where it does indeed state that.

I am fairly certain that this cannot be legal, I have rejected their offer and wait to see if they will respond further. I may pursue a small claim against them, we shall see.......what is absolutely certain is that I will NOT be utilising my voucher!!

Wineboy's Response to SimonGrey's Review

Written on: 22/09/2013

We did the same! It seems they leave you until a point where it is too late to make other arrangements and sting you for every penny they can!
We booked a trip to Champagne on the 19th and 20th September and at 4.pm on the 18th before a collection at 9Am the following moring in Paris they called to say the coach was not available ( broken down!! truly laughable!) and we would need to pay £500 for a much larger coach we didnt need. These guys are basically extorting money from what I can asee. Could I ask you to contact watch dog on the BBC to complain this week as i intend too do the same. Enoiugh is enough this needs to be stopped....

D-Tivney's reply to Wineboy's Comment

Written on: 23/02/2014

All you need to do is book direct with the coach operator, don't use brokers.

D-Tivney's Response to SimonGrey's Review

Written on: 23/02/2014

The driver most likely NEVER had any of the instructions you carefully provided to Momentum. If you had booked direct with a coach operator none of this would have happened. It's easy to tell the difference, look at their websites.