Sky Broadband worked for me

• Reliability

• Speed Consistency

Guest's review of Sky Broadband

“Sky Broadband worked for me”

Written on: 19/12/2012

My experience of Sky Broadband has been superb, I was a BT Broadband customer for 10 years but wanted to change due to a truly atrocious customer service where I ended up contacting BT’s MD direct just to get someone to check my line having spent over 4 hours on the phone to an Indian call centre when my broadband dropped., I should probably point out I am a IT specialist\engineer, whatever else you want to call me with over 15 years experience so knew the fault wasn’t in the house.

Sky’s offer that I signed on for is 12 months free unlimited broadband, I’m an existing Sky tv customer and had to sign up to sky talk to get the deal but as this means I’m saving £11.10 a month for the first 12 months and then £3.60 per month the following year I couldn’t really refuse, especially as sky’s broadband is unlimited and BT’s wasn’t (the equivalent deal on BT would have cost me an extra £10 per month!)

Sky’s hub arrived six days before the changeover, I had a play with it, reserving addresses for various bits of equipment, all very typical stuff really and to be honest, not a lot different from the netgear router that I was using for BT. I used Sky’s microfilters and cables with my netgear router when still with BT, the reason being that I wanted to make sure it was all working and also wanted to compare the router statistics I was getting with the netgear router on BT with what I would be getting with the sky hub when on sky broadband.

So, on the Tuesday at about 13:30 my BT connection dropped, I left it about an hour and then plugged in my sky hub having first been sent a text and email from sky letting me know it had all been switched over. The hub worked perfectly, all my devices connected first time no problem, some wired (CCTV) most wireless (laptop, desktop, printer etc).

Sky had let me know that they would be limiting my downstream connection speed to 4Mb while they tested my line over the first 7-10 days to get the most reliable connection speed. The predicted speed I could expect was between 7-14 Mb, after 8 days my speed seems to have settled at just shy of 9Mb which for me is fantastic as the best I ever got from BT was just over 5Mb and curiously according to the router statistics my line attenuation has actually improved i.e., its lowered so not sure what sky have done in my exchange but it’s a lot better.

I’ve read a lot of negative reports about sky’s broadband and I can only sympathise with people, perhaps its just luck but for me they are cheaper, faster, far less restrictive and the communication has been great. After the frankly dreadful and unprofessional Indian call centres BT is using I really can’t see how sky can possibly be as bad and now I genuinely wish I’d moved over to them earlier.

• Reliability