Atrocious order tracking - an incompetent e-business

• Quality of service

• Layout of shop

Guest's review of Waterstones

“Atrocious order tracking - an incompetent e-business”

Written on: 20/06/2013

Thought I'd throw a bit of business in Waterstones' direction - an online order with quoted expected delivery time of 7-10 days. 5 days later, I received an automated message to notify me that the book was out of stock and would be ordered in from their supplier. Either I am to believe that Waterstones are so incompetent that it takes them 5 days to figure out if a book is in their warehouse (which is something any e-business that manages stock should know within hours if not instantly), or that they deliberately drag their feet on telling you something is out of stock so that you do not immediately go elsewhere.

Another 10 days pass with no further notification. The online order tracking gives no useful information about status, and no estimated shipment dates. I cancelled the order (pending their approval, go figure). I'll be taking my business back to Amazon, and have every confidence that the book will arrive within 3-5 days as claimed.

Won't be using Waterstones again and wouldn't be sad to see those heavy debts catch up with them. For a company with such an extensive history in selling books their e-business is hopelessly antiquated.