Never again!

mikebikekite's review of Worcester Bosch Boiler

“Never again!”

Written on: 02/05/2013 by mikebikekite (3 reviews written)

Our old boiler had worked fine for decades but my wife liked the idea of a smaller and more efficient boiler so we got a Worcester combi boiler. It was certainly smaller but the increased efficiency now meant we needed to add a radiator to the airing cupboard to dry cloths as the boiler doesn't give out enough heat by itself.

The combi boiler also puffs out steam along the side of my house and both my own and my neighbors window frames are starting to rot - large bills expected here. It also didn't come with a thermostat on the walls so now we need to manually turn off the heating in the house. The funny thing is my bills haven't been any cheaper with this new efficient boiler, if anything I'm paying more!

At the moment though, I have the boiler switched off - not to save money but because water is dripping constantly out the back of it and into buckets arranged around the place. I'm hoping I can keep the buckets going before the ceiling is affected downstairs. The Worcester engineer is coming tomorrow to fix it but the bill is £360!

Mikebikekite's Response to mikebikekite's Review

Written on: 08/05/2013

Just to say that they fixed the boiler. It was a tiny hole in a cheap plastic pipe at the very back of the system. The total bill was approx £300. They replaced the plastic pipe with ... another cheap plastic pipe. No doubt Worcester enjoy the extra revenue this earns them.

I previously forgot to mention the timer - it's a sort of clock within a clock face with switches around the outside to say when the boiler should switch on. This system confuses everyone in the house so much that my wife usually just switches the heating on and off manually rather than fight with the clock.

Aceflyer's reply to Mikebikekite's Comment

Written on: 29/05/2013

Did you get a worcester bosch accredited installer to fit your boiler? You would have a good guarantee, if this is the case, so what is the nonsense about a £300 bill. As stated in Derekgas's Review there is a minimum distance for siting a flue from your neighbour's property. Also what about the increased efficiency of the boiler, have you failed to work out that you are actually saving money on your gas bill. Why don't you ask your installer to explain the instructions that came with your timer again, or did you forget to ask the first time.

Derekgas's Response to mikebikekite's Review

Written on: 08/05/2013

This not a boiler issue, it is an installer issue, you should have had a programmable room thermostat or seperate stat and timer by LAW, the flue is incorrect and should have been sited so as not to cause a nuisance, the leak internally could be any number of things, but I wouldnt mind betting that it is down to poor installer again.