Unloved very emotional & disturbing.

Emsie's review of Peter Roche, Unloved The Story Of a Stolen Childhood

Peter Roche, Unloved The Story Of a Stolen Childhood

“Unloved very emotional and disturbing.”

Written on: 11/03/2012 by Emsie (1 review written)

I have just finished this book, my friend brought it for me on wednesday and i finished it today. I was dubious about reading it has i suffer with depression and new it would have some affect on me and may affect my mood more. But because i am a avid reader the temptation was to much. This book is so awful all the way through, how Peter and his siblings were treated is absouletly disgusting. I all got to me but the parts were he constantly wet himself and had to sleep on the floor because is brothers were wet also really got to me, and then having to go to school in that state those smells. And the constant ridicule and bullying from other children. Then having to come home and face bullying and beatings and hunger and sleeping in that state all over again. It frustrates me that his picture was used to help others but not him and his siblings, i feel miss zils should have done more and lord Snowdon feel they got let off lightly. Miss Zils thought is life had improved why didnt she find out she was aware of his living conditions and the bruises. So did she believe that the cruelty had stopped all of a sudden. No one really rescued him or his siblings. Peter was pacified by the few decent people he met but he still had to go back to that terrible life. I wish his parents had suffered by knowing he married had children and disregarded them so they new what they had done. His parents were disgusting human beings don't understand why they had nine children when they hated them so much. I would like to know what happened to his brother Paul. Terence a horrible disgusting man no different than his father for seducing his wife. When he was younger he was bad enough with Peter but you could understand that he was fighting his own demons and knew no better because of how he himself was treated. But for a grown man to go through all that and still treat his brother and smirk while he was doing it. Truly disgusting unforgiveable dosen't deserve forgiveness at all. Just wish the ones who had wronged him had had some commupence. To me his parents dying was the easy way out and they should of had to suffer in more ways and realise what they did. But you can't put feeling into people who have none so maybe they would never have realised. But they needed to suffer somehow. Peter if you read this you are a very very brave man. And your even braver and stronger than you think. To forgive your brother is a brave strong thing to do. And to visit your mother is also brave and strong after how she treat you. She didn't even deserve that. And another thing that struck me in the book is when you were little and you would wait on the doorstep for your dad the man who diregarded and treat you so badly. I am so glad you are married with children and i wish you so much happiness always.

• Paperback