Mullard Re-Issue EL34 Valves

Drastic's review of Mullard Re-issue EL34 Valves

Mullard Re-issue EL34 Valves

“Mullard Re-Issue EL34 Valves”

Written on: 29/08/2011 by Drastic (15 reviews written)

Well I've bought a Matched quad set of these Mullard re-issue EL34 tube's to try & here are my findings on A Yaqin MC-10L amp.
First thing I noticed after I fitted them & reset the bias the was a very strong smell, in fact they stunk the lounge out, it was so bad I had to open the patio doors, after about two hours the smell died away.
The second thing I noticed is a lot of glow from the heaters, not a problem, does if fact look nice.
They've had about 20 hours of burning in now & are sounding very nice.
They are a big step up from the original Shuguang tubes, then again Milk Bottles are a up from them! (no to be fair their not bad)
I would also rate them above my beloved JJ's, but I can't decide if I prefer them to my Svetlana winded "C" tubes? close, but with a slight tonal shift.

Sound is very un-objective, a personal thing, one person's idea of the perfect tone may not be to everybody's taste. Some people hate valve amp's (poor fools) while others hate solid state amps! you see my point?
However I think they are very good tubes, the bass is solid & well controlled, the top end is a little higher than the JJ's, maybe I'm hearing an 1k of treble.
They have had good reviews on other forums, the guitar boy's seem to like them in their Marshal amp's.
I think for the price (£68 inc P&P for a quad set), your not going be able to buy anything better at the price, if there is anything better?
Good luck Bob.