Baggage Extortion

• Quality of Entertainment

• Quality of food

jacobsg's review of Sun Country Airlines

“Baggage Extortion”

Written on: 12/06/2012 by jacobsg (1 review written)

We were caught in the Sun Country's baggage extortion this last week at Minneapolis, Saint Paul. We sat with everyone for over an hour before boarding time waiting for the gate to open. The THREE gate personnel stood there with nothing to do, making no announcements or cautions regarding carry-ons. When they started boarding, after first class, they seemingly randomly stopped several people, my wife and I included, to measure their bag with their measuring bin. I thought the bin looked small and SURPRISE, none of the bags they checked fit in the bin. Everyone whose bag was measured stated it was a bag that had fit on several flights before this one with no problems, at all, ever. Our bag had fit fine on over 20 flights, including overseas twice, and on the flight 4 days before INTO Minneapolis. There was no time to deal with this issue since everyone behind was waiting to board. As I mentioned the measuring bin appeared small. I measured the measuring bin and then the overhead when we boarded. I measured a carry-on that fit in the overhead bin and it was 4 inches bigger than the measuring bin. At our destination I counted 31 carry-on bags in the carousel. Oh, by the way, each bag AT THE GATE was $25. They made a handy extra $775 from their extortion. BEWARE the "just before you board" bag extortion.