Damaged Laptop

• Quality of food

Guest's review of Air Transat

“Damaged Laptop”

Written on: 26/05/2013

My teenage daughter came over to Vancouver Air Transat from LGW May 18, 2013, in Club Class. Her laptop ($1,200 value) was in its soft case buried in the middle of her suitcase with clothing packed around it. It got terminally damaged in transit with a dent in the metal back. The force had cracked the screen, wrecking it. I complained but, not surprisingly, they used their 'get out of liability' clause. I claimed major blunt force mishandling should not be covered by the clause. Don't we customers have a reasonable expectation that our baggage will be handled properly?
A week or so before I did the same trip (Club), flying at 40,000 ft. I had a headache almost from the get go and suspected our pressurized height might be a bit too high from my personal comfort. I asked the flight attendant to check and the skipper came out and told me 8,600 ft. The regulations call for 8,000 ft. In fairness they did offer me oxygen and headache tablets.
I have been using Air Transat practically since they started. Their service has been average for a budget airline. However, recently I have started flying Club to get the extra comfort, jump the queues and it's been worth it, until now. They fly too high for my comfort and I now have no expectations as to the proper handling of baggage.

Sassileria's Comment

Written on: 23/08/2013

You really shouldn't pack a laptop or any fragile item in your check in luggage, you do risk damage and are fully responsible as you decided to place it there. Most people do carry there laptops on their person at all times. Baggage was never meant to be handled gently and it is handled in the same manner by every airline. The airlines are not responsible for what you decide to pack in your baggage, it is yours.