Weihrauch HW95 Review

• Accuracy

• Handling

Dehouser's review of Weihrauch HW95

“I found my .177 HW95 through an airgun dealer who was...”

Written on: 17/07/2011 by Dehouser (11 reviews written)

I found my .177 HW95 through an airgun dealer who was liquidating his stock and closing up shop. This meant that while the price was right for a new gun, there would be no follow up service in the event of trouble. Caveat emptor, and all that.

At any rate, the gun arrived nicely boxed and looked good: even bluing, solid, if pedestrian looking, furniture, and a nice heft when shouldered. I had played with several Weihrauchs previously but this is the first of their rifle offerings I've owned. Unfortunately, my experiences have been mixed, as you will read.

Upon closer inspection, it became obvious that the breech seal had been damaged by the packing grease, with gobs of nasty brown stuff layering the breech block (my gun was built in 2007, and, presumably, had been laying in a box in the astringent Alberta air for some time). After a thorough cleaning, I noted that what was left of the seal was brittle to the touch and would crumble easily. Undeterred, I removed it and hunted up a seal from my small collection that would suffice until the proper one could be obtained.

Upon shooting the gun, it seemed that the dieseling would never end. It took somewhere in the neighborhood of 150 pellets to get things calmed down, which was new for me. I found the factory setting for the trigger on the stiff side, so I lowered the pull weight as much as possible, putting it firmly in the 'acceptable' camp, rather than 'impressive'. Preliminary 10m tests with the open sights looked good, so it was time to mount optics and do some chronograph testing.

Chronograph numbers were low, and I reason that is owing to the orphan breech seal I fitted. 8.44 grain JSB Exacts tested at around 810 fps, and 8.2 grain RWS R10 match pellets slightly faster, at around 820 fps. I think a healthy 95 should do around 50-60 fps better than these numbers, but I'd rather any gun I owned was accurate as opposed to fast.

Accuracy tests were a bit confounding. I have lots of springers and shoot often, so I hope this was not an execution problem on my part. I know that good quality guns tend to be pellet fussy, but I have not been able to get the 95 to group well at any distance beyond about 15 yards. At 50 yards, with Exacts, and off the bench, 3" for 5 shots is about the norm. My Chinese blunderbuss, the B-21 in .22 with open sights, will do better than that. Bench testing hasn't been encouraging, but I will keep at it.

In summary, my particular 95 is underwhelming in the accuracy department, and I'm not sold on the trigger. I like the fit of the metal parts of the gun, the way it feels when it the barrel locks up and so on, and that it feels solid. I am disappointed that it twangs as much as a Gamo, and that the trigger is just 'ok'. I reckon the new breech seal with sort out the velocity issues, but the gun will need a good tune with aftermarket internals to get the most out of it. Knowing that now, I am glad that I did not pay market price for it, but I do intend to explore more of Weihrauch's rifle offerings (like a 35E).

• Accuracy