One year & still going strong

• Accuracy

• Handling

Nec_V20's review of Weihrauch HW80

“One year and still going strong”

Written on: 14/06/2012 by Nec_V20 (9 reviews written)

I have now had my Weihrauch HW80 for about a year and I have not yet found something to dislike about it.

I like the open sights of the HW80, I do however think that aperture sights are superior. The only thing is that I have been put off by the horrendous price of buying a quality one. But £70 for the Williams sight, two screw in apertures and postage to the UK is well worth it to me.

So when the sight arrives, the good thing will only have gotten better.

The rifle itself is as accurate as I am, and the only thing that is not so good is that I only have a range of about 25 yards at the back of my house, which is no longer a challenge for either the rifle or myself.

It is a springer and it does take some time to learn to hold it properly, but once you have that down the rifle will put the pellet where you aim it. The secret is something called the "artillery hold" and searching for this term will bring up enough demonstration videos on YouTube.

Is it expensive? I have had mine for a year now, and put a number of tins of pellets through it. Nothing has loosened and except for the fact that it is now "run in" and shooting more consistently, I have not noticed anything else. I am now in my fifties and I have a feeling that my HW80 will outlive me.

Sure you can buy cheaper rifles, but the chances are that you will have to continually tinker with it, if not have it repaired and then have to learn to shoot it accurately again until something else goes wrong with it. That is of course assuming the rifle shoots accurately in the first place.

With the HW80 I have gained the accuracy benefit of practice without the rifle "moving the goalposts" on me by stuff loosening, breaking, or wearing. I take it out for a days shooting and when I get back I put some Ballistol on a cloth and give the entire rifle (wood and metal) a quick rub down before I put it away - five minutes maximum. That is the entire extent of the "maintenance" I have had to do. What's not to like?

Sawal96's Response to Nec_V20's Review

Written on: 14/07/2014

Thank you for the review. But I wish you had mentioned the caliber of your gun

Nec_V20's reply to Sawal96's Comment

Written on: 15/07/2014

That was my bad, I have the .177 calibre of the HW80.

I have now put a lot more tins of pellets through the rifle and still it is rock solid.

I am sorry for the oversight in my original post.