Quality Kit

• Accuracy

• Handling

SteveH68's review of Weihrauch HW77

“Quality Kit”

Written on: 23/06/2014 by SteveH68 (1 review written)

Most avid airgunners know just how good the Weihrauch HW77 and HW97 series are so I wont wax too lyrical, indeed see a little plagerisim below
"The HW77 is one of the first and finest underlever field target rifles ever made. Born in the famous Weihrauch plant in Germany, it has been a popular rifle for decades. It has the famous Rekord trigger and will always be more accurate than anyone shooting it."

I had my first original HW77 rifle as a young man, sadly sold that in 1987 but bought a second one several years later which by serial number was a 1984 series, MK1 HW77. I shot this rifle regularly until 2013 and enjoyed many hours of shooting with them, the accuracy and ease of use for me was second to none.

After 20yrs of ownership and no issues I sold my MK1 rifle and purchased a 2004 HW77k all the time wondering if the carbine would be as accurate with its shorter barrel, well im pleased to say that it instantly felt like more of an all round gun with a slightly better balance than the full length model which felt a little nose heavy if you didn't mount a substantial piece of glass on it. That being said my last shoot with the full length 77 was with open sights at 25yds and I was able to achieve cloverleaf groupings.

The 77k comes up to shoulder and points beautifully and as with most Weihrauchs, its weight sits beautifully as you take the shot, some folk feel the Weihrauchs and similar are too heavy but once you shoot one for a few days you find the weight to be to your advantage as it allows a firmer more stable hold.
The cocking mechanisim is very simple and the action moves smoothly and with a large loading port being easily accessed, providing you don't overglass!

I dont think the stocks are as beautiful as earlier models were and certainly not as nicely finished as some of the AA's but are very well formed and practical.

I was using RWS Supermag flathead .177 pellets (0,60g- 9.3gr) which were superb, but have now switched to the 8.3gr RWS Superdome for better all round usage.
My Mk1 77 was shot using a Nikko Stirling 2-7x32AO scope which despite its small size was perfect for use indoors at 25yds,
The 77k came fitted with a Barska 3-12x42AO which is similar to how I have some of my other rifles scoped so I am enjoying the small stepup in glass size, its a good all round practical scope size suitable for most applications though I haven't tried FT with it.

All in all Weihrauchs are a top quality class act and built to last, indeed as mentioned I owned my last one for 20yrs and its new owner should easily get 20 more...

• Accuracy