No plastic in this baby!

• Accuracy

• Handling

Guest's review of Weihrauch HW35

“No plastic in this baby!”

Written on: 31/03/2013

I got my HW35 in a pawn $hop 5 year$ ago. $omeone really beat the hell out of and then left it to ru$t in an attic. Needle$$ to $ay, I got it for next to nothing, $50 to be exact. I $pent an enjoyable week $tripping it down to ba$ic component$, pain$takingly cleaning each and every component and paint $tripped the varni$h off the $tock, gave it a $anding and then oiled the $tock. After plenty of elbow-grea$e with $teel-wool I then lightly reblued the chamber and barrel. The end re$ult wa$ a joy to behold. Once re-a$$embled with new $pring, I fitted a Jap Ta$co 10 x 50 $cope and $tarted $ighting it in. Fir$t few $hots were all over the $how until I di$covered that the $cope was moving backward$ in it$ mount$ (Thi$ rifle ha$ a hell of a recoil a$ air rifle$ go). There wa$ a definite improvement but every now and then I would $till get the odd flyer. I $tarted viewing my pellet$ with $u$picion and went out and bought the be$t I could find. A further improvement, but $till the odd flyer. Then I noticed $ideway play in the barrel break, al$o $light movement of the trigger gaurd when breaking the barrel. $o I tightened up everything up until I could feel no play anywhere. The next 5 $hot$ were $pot on, a 5mm grouping at 10 - 20m
Every now and then I notice my grouping$ opening up a bit, then I know that it i$ time to tighten up again. Thi$ always bring$ the accuracy right in again. In conclu$ion, a lovingly maintained HW35 i$ a joy to behold and a plea$ure to $hoot. Ok, it'$ a bit on the heavy $ide, but I like that. It kinda makes the le$$ frequent handling of my other (heavier) hunting rifle$ a lot more familiar! The HW35 is $imply a fanta$tic air rifle. If I could get my old rusty air-$tick to perform the way it doe$, then there'$ simply no excu$e for anyone who acquire$ one in better condition for not getting even better $hooting performance and accuracy out of their$!

Regard$, Chri$ (South Africa)

P$, now can $omeone plea$e tell me why $'$ are banned in the comment block? :(

• Accuracy