Weihrauch HW97K arguably the best of it's type?

• Accuracy

• Handling

omnamatapaeic's review of Weihrauch HW 97K

“Weihrauch HW97K arguably the best of it's type?”

Written on: 19/08/2014 by omnamatapaeic (3 reviews written)

Sorry about the user name...I was getting fed up as the site wouldn't let use several simpler alternatives!!

Anyway...
I am no expert on air rifles, this being my first since childhood. I am now 58. I have used shotguns of various calibres for rabbit and pigeon shooting over the years, and wanted something more discreet for the occasional pigeon or rabbit. What I hadn't reckoned on was the enjoyment I get from target shooting, just like my archery!
Anyway, I haven't shot the alternatives, the AirArms 200 Mk111, and the Walther LGU, but are both widely acknowledged as superb examples of their kind. I am told that they are both derivatives of the Weihrauch?
After MUCH advice and consideration, I settled on the Weihrauch, (bought from the Air Gun Centre, Essex...extremely helpful and highly recommended) and have found it a beautifully engineered and highly effective piece of equipment. Contrary to what has been said elsewhere (see the reviews on the LGU), the cocking action is VERY smooth, and the full width breech makes loading a doddle. It was fitted with a Hawke scope which was easy to zero in, and the trigger light, smooth and predictable; I have left it as set from the factory.
The stock is beautifully finished with excellent engraving, also on trigger guard, and the blueing looks first class. It seems that there is a wide consensus that the Weihrauch has the best trigger system of the three?
A quality rifle. Price differentials between the three (Air Arms, Walther and Weihrauch) seem pretty minimal.

I have mentioned the AirGun Centre, Essex, from whom I purchased the rifle (after contacting several suppliers). They have been very helpful, and supply rifles tested, performance certificated, with lifetime warranty and servicing free for life for original purchaser.

Pros

Build quality/finish
Therefore accurate
Famous "Rekord" trigger system
Full width breech, easy loading

Cons

A little heavy, but no heavier than contemporaries
Short stock for larger users (me)
Not properly ambidextrous, but can be shot left handed (I am/do)

• Accuracy

• Handling