Savage 93r17 Feeding Issues

• Accuracy

• Handling

Guest's review of Savage 93R17-FV

“Savage 93r17 Feeding Issues”

Written on: 24/06/2013

Bought both the 93r17 and 22 WMR and have had nothing but feeding issues ever since. The first 5 round magazines worked well in the 22 WMR for around 50 rounds. After that the rounds began to release when the bolt was opened causing a jam. Soon aferward the rounds would fly out of the magazine as I inserted the clip with the bolt open. Although the other 5 round mag held the rounds ... it did begin to interfere with the bolt after awhile. I found that if I reduced the number of rounds in the clip to 3 or less it seemed to work ... but even that failed after a few more rounds so I was effectively stuck with a single shot, bolt action rifle. The 93R17 was good - at first - but soon followed suit e.g. the loaded clip would interfere with the bolt when using a full clip. I purchased four new 10 round clips which worked well in the 17 HMR for the first 50 rounds then both began to block the bolt just as the 5 round clips did. I reduced the number of rounds in the clip to 5 or less and the feed issue was remedied. Both rifles shoot very well ... but issues with the clips ruin an otherwise good day of shooting. At this point I plan to use both in trade just to get rid of them. I strongly recommend people steer clear of these rifles until Savage get's it together and remedies this obvious engineering flaw.

• Accuracy