Hatsan BT65 SB .177

• Accuracy

• Handling

Dave2730's review of Hatsan BT65 SB

“Hatsan BT65 SB .177”

Written on: 20/03/2013 by Dave2730 (1 review written)

Having recently got back into shooting after many years, I was looking for a PCP rifle that would suit my needs for target shooting and hunting.
I had previously only shot break barrel spring rifles and rim fire .22 when I had Sec 1 licence.
I looked at the majority of rifles on the market and was looking to pay up to £600, I also looked at the second hand market on gun trader and associated sites and read many reviews on various rifles
Finally I viewed the Airgun TV review of the BT65 SB .177 and ordered a wood stock version from Solware. I have to say the guys at Solware were very helpful and arranged private delivery of the rifle to my door.
Out of the box the rifle was stunning sporting a lovely walnut stock. I ordered the Hatsan pump with the rifle as I didnt want to go to the expense of buying a divers bottle. I also ordered a Moderator, a Parker and Hale.
I also purchased a Nikko Stirling Mountmaster 4-12x50 Parallax AO Rifle Scope for the rifle. I also fitted a Deben Bipod, which required a rifle stud fitting.
Once set up and charged, I went about zeroing the scope at 10 yards using Bisley magnum's I had the rifle shooting perfect with groupings through the same hole. I then moved back to 20 Yards with the same result and finally to 40 yards with groupings within 15 mm.
The gun is powerful and very heavy, just shy of 8.5 pound with the bipod and scope, which suits me fine, with the walnut stock it is perfectly balanced, the magazine indexes superbly, although the bolt action is quite heavy on the pull back. I would recommend getting a moderator as the rifle lets off a real crack without one. The Parker Hale moderator works great and really quietens this beast of a rifle.
In summary, I would recommend this rifle to anyone who wants a great PCP at a very reasonable price. Go for the Walnut stock as apposed to the synthetic stock as it is better balanced, although you get an accessory rail on the synthetic model. Try to get the best scope you can afford. The Hatsan pump works great, but can be tiring when you get up to 150 bar but a full charge of 200 bar takes me 8 minutes and I am getting around 60 full power shots before the power curve fades.
I am using Bisley Magnums and JSB heavy Exacts, I am getting good power and awesome accuracy.
A superb all round gun but this gun is heavy and may not be suited for everyone. I would say you definitely need to try before you buy, I didn't but I am very happy with the rifle.

• Accuracy