Simply the best

• Appearance

bosco25's review of Guild D-25

Guild D-25

“Simply the best”

Written on: 03/06/2013 by bosco25 (1 review written)

My d25 is from the mid 70's, it is the most incredible guitar I have ever had the pleasure of playing. It stays in tune thru many weather changes. I use only lights and ultralight strings as I have come to realize the heavy strings seem dull after a while plus it is not the best for the truss rod. This guitar is a true friend. I have had the best sessions at 3AM when the warm and clean crisp sustain echos in my living space. My experience is mainly for personal entertainment. I had always wanted a Martin and truly intended to buy one. But a good friend, and an early fan of Larry Carlton, was with me and convinced me to buy the Guild. It was the best $320 I have ever spent. I am so happy every time I play this beautiful instrument. It responds today as it did 40 plus years ago. Twice in my lifetime I came close to selling it as I needed funds. But as I took it out of its case I fell in love all over again. This is the guitar that I cherish for all time.

• Sound Quality

• Intermediate

Reviewer's Musical Standard

Mikeglosta's Response to bosco25's Review

Written on: 07/06/2013

I play a 1971 Guild D25 which I bought new from Boston Music. Paid $200 plus 50 for a hardshell case. I've had to reglue the bridge, did it myself - no big task - have done little else. It's got a few cracks, down to the bare mahogany from the bridge repair, and a lot of finger grease from sweat along the neck. The frets are pretty worn which are so low that other guitars feel like the swiss alps along the neck when I play them. This guitar is incredibly worn - and sounds fantastic. As the company says, made to play, which I have done for over 40 years. It's not mint - they go for around $800 for a '71 - but I wouldn't sell mine for three times that amount. Another point, I've never played another guild with action as low as this one.

Bosco25's reply to Mikeglosta's Comment

Written on: 10/06/2013

I agree, I would not give mine up for any amount. Luckily I have no cracks or unreasonable wear for a guitar this old. The action is quite low compared to any other premium guitars I have played. I only finger pick, and at times it almost sounds like a 12 string. i feel very lucky as time goes on and it just gets better and better.