Range Rover P38 4.0 SE

• Practicality

• Reliability

26Bauer's review of Range Rover 4.6 HSE

“Range Rover P38 4.0 SE”

Written on: 03/05/2014 by 26Bauer (1 review written)

Bought my Range Rover P38 4.0 SE about 3 years ago and think it is a fantastic car. It has had only one problem which needed a complete gearbox rebuild at £1600 but would not swap it! Air suspension is fantastic and the go anywhere drive is amazing. It has now been on 3 journeys to Portugal and back without a hiccup and I am looking forward to another trip in it this summer!

I only paid £2000 for this 1999 RR and try an buy a new car with this much kit on it and with the feeling you get whilst driving the RR. I would recommend the RR P38 to everyone but the complaints about high running costs are real so keep something in the bank just in case. The much fabled air suspension problem has never occurred and the ride height that you drive at whilst wafting along makes you feel that much better about life.

If MPG is a concern then buy a Ford Ka!! I get about 26mpg on the long drive to Portugal and am happy with that as it carries my family of 4 and I with consummate ease and comfort which you would pay a lot more for if you were paying to be crammed into the tightest of airplane seats!!!

So overall and without rose tinted glasses, I would buy another one tomorrow with thinking about it!

• 1999